Welcome

I am proud of my family. I love Jesus. I am not perfect. I like junk food, particularly potato chips. I work out with my sexy rock star husband. I hate it. I do it for the company. My children make my heart beat. I was once a full time photographer. I retired to loose my sanity by becoming a stay-at-home Mom. I recently came out of retirement to avoid the looney-bin. Please enjoy the funny stories of my family, the hilarity of me trying to work out & find my skinny and the every-now-and-then crafts that I begin but rarely finish.
God Save The Queen.....

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Brother's Birthday Cupcakes


My Gram used to traditionally make a Red Velvet Cake for my birthday. It had become a comfortable tradition that I would look forward to every year. That slice of red goodness topped with lucious cream cheese frosting was enough to send a diabetic into a coma. The cake was always so soft she had to keep the layers held together with tooth picks - I'd look forward to finding one. Kind of like finding the baby in a King Cake. HEY, it was a tradition, okay!!
I adore baking. I think that was passed down from Gram and Mom. My Girls don't have a chance especially since my Mother-In-Law is Betty Crocker. (No lie, she's a diva in the kitchen, too!!!) I've been on a baking tear lately because Alexander has become really interested in helping me. However, I haven't really wanted to try my hand at Red Velvet until this year. It's not a difficult recipe, just not my tradition.
Until now.
I thought this would become something nice for me to pick up for the Patties in memory of Gram. Brother jumped in with both hands. I think the food coloring was the "icing on the cake!!"

Here's the recipe:

RED VELVET CAKE

1 box White Cake Mix
3 Tbsp Cocoa
1 Tsp Baking Powder
2 mini bottles of RED food coloring
**Put the food coloring in the water that the cake mix calls for.
**Continue on with the directions on cake mix.

CREAM CHEESE ICING
1 8oz. Cream Cheese (room temp.)
1 stick unsalted Butter (room temp.)
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
**Mix all together and spread over cake

2 comments:

Booksh Bunch said...

I miss those red velvet cakes also We find out what the baby is on Monday!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey!! You made me cry (imagine that) with those beautiful words!!! It is so hard to put your feelings in to words when it comes to your kids but you did it!!!

I too miss Gram's wonderful birthday cakes and lunches!!! It is wonderful to have an angel among us though!!!

Ann :)